This is a classic risotto dish using brown long grain rice. Serve with mixed green salad tossed in a light dressing. Ideal for a summer evening supper.
Preparation time 25 minutes
Cooking time 30-35 minutes
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 2 clove of garlic, crushed
- 9oz (250g) brown long grain rice
- 1 ½ pints (150ml) vegetable stock
- 1lb (450g) mixed mushrooms, large ones to be sliced
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2oz (50g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a heavy based pan, on top of the stove. Add the shallots and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring all the time. Add the brown rice to the shallot mixture, stir and coat the rice in oil. Stir the vegetable stock into the rice mixture in the saucepan. Bring to boil, lower the heat and simmer, uncovered for about 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed, stir frequently. Add the mushrooms, stir well and cook the risotto for 10-15 minutes more until the mixture has been absorbed. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the chopped parsley and grated parmesan and serve at once.