Preparation time 30 minutes
Cooking 11/2 hours
- 4 chicken breasts ( boned ones are the best)
- 16 button onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 8 oz (225g) button mushrooms
- 2 oz (50g) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 11/2 (725g) pints chick stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plain flour mixed with tablespoon soft butter to make paste.
Heat the butter and oil in a heavy based casserole pan. Place the chicken breast in the hot pan and brown all over. Lift out onto dish. Fry the onions and crushed garlic in the juices, add the mushrooms and the chicken stock bouquet garni salt and pepper. Place the pan in the centre of the oven gas mark 2 (300F 200C) and cook for 1 hour. Remove the chicken, onions and mushrooms onto a warm serving dish, discard the bouquet garni at this point. Now bring the liquid to a fast boil to reduce it by about one third. Add the mixed butter and flour together, add to the sauce and continue stirring until the sauce has thickened.
Serve with potatoes and broccoli.