This is a popular favourite with the family, and is quite delicious.
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 1 hour
- 1½ oz (40g) butter
- I onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4oz (125g) white breadcrumbs
- Juice and zest of ¼ lemon
- 8oz (225) mixed nuts, like pinenuts, macadamia nuts, Brazil nuts,
- and almonds ground in food processor
- 4oz (125g) tin of peeled chestnuts, chopped
- 3oz (75g) parmesan cheese (vegetarian)
- ½ a can (390g) can artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 medium egg
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley, sage and thyme
- Salt and ground black pepper
Preheat oven to gas mark 6 (400F 200C)
Melt the butter in a heavy based pan and cook the onions and garlic for 5 minutes or until soft. Transfer into a large bowl and leave to cool. Add the breadcrumbs, chestnuts and artichokes. Season with salt and pepper and bind the mixture together with the beaten egg and chopped herbs. Put the mixture into a greased 2lb (900g) loaf tin and cook for about 1 hour, when the top is crisp and brown.
Serve with mixed vegetables.